SNOWBOARDING ASPEN MOUNTAIN (AJAX)
Season dates: December 10, 2011 - April 22, 2012
Base elevation: 8,040 ft./2,451 m.
Summit elevation: 11,675 ft./3,559 m. (top of Highland Bowl 12,392 ft.)
Vertical rise: 3,635 ft./1,108 m.
Terrain: 1,028 acres/416 hectares
Number of trails: 118
Miles/km of trails: 84 miles/135 km
Longest run: 3.5 miles/5.6 km
Aspen Highlands is the locals' favorite. With an abundance of expert terrain, groomed cruisers and breathtaking views of the Maroon Bells, it's no surprise. Then, there's Highland Bowl - Colorado's ultimate off-piste experience - where a 30-minute hike to the summit will reward you with 2,500-vertical-foot descents down pitches as steep as 45 degrees. We are five minutes from Highlands and a great board shop to rent your board for a day at Aspen Highlands.
Reasons to Snowboard Aspen Highlands;
- Highlands Bowl-this is back-country terrain inbounds and expertly controlled by Aspens finest ski Patrol. The hike along the ridge to the summit is an experience in itself (bring water). Even better though is the powder that collects in the bowl from even the smallest of snowfalls (thank you wind), allowing for some of the best wide open powder turns you’ll find in North America.
- Deep Temerity Powder days- talk about a leg burner, every turn offers the potential for airtime. Get there early because of its length, steepness, and ease of access this run takes a beating on powder days until the bowl opens - normally around late morning.
- Mid-mountain groomers- runs like Red Onion and Exhibition are the not so hidden gems of Aspen Highlands. Perfectly groomed, wide open, and empty, just itching to be carved up, or the perfect place for the intermediate rider to hone their skills.
- Local friendly attitude- Aspen Highlands is the kind of mountain where you can meet a stranger on the chair and be good riding buddies by the end of the day. Look out for local Kiwi Scotty Gibson, he’s slow but he knows where he is going.
- Cloud Nine Bistro- if you have the budget reserve a late table (1.30-2.00) at Andre Fiscbachers amazing restaurant. Enjoy stunning views ,fine food, and lots of wine, then wait as the tables are cleared, the dance music is pumped up and voila, an instant table dancing, semi-naked house party. Remember you have to get down at the end so drink plenty of water and ski down with a friend.
Aspen Snowmass Official Site